This database records litigation (including settled cases and court orders) on issues of climate change in Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands. It encompasses cases across several different substantive categories including:
- Project Approval (mitigation) cases.
- Project Approval (adaptation) cases.
- Corporate Accountability cases.
- Constitutional and Human Rights / State Accountability cases.
- Cases that broaden access to justice in climate cases.
Australia presently has the second largest number of climate cases globally and the most significant adaptation jurisprudence of any country. Climate litigation is likely to continue to grow in New Zealand and Pacific Island countries.
For details of litigation elsewhere in the world you can find this information on the climate change case charts maintained by the Sabin Center for Climate Law at Columbia University and the LSE Grantham Institute’s Climate Change Laws of the World database.
The database adopts a broad definition of ‘climate litigation’. This includes cases where: climate change is a central issue in the dispute, climate change is raised as a peripheral issue, climate concerns motivate the lawsuit, or the case has implications for mitigation or adaptation (Peel & Osofsky 2015, p.8). There is also some inclusion of non-court based cases e.g. legal letters, tribunal decisions etc.
The Australian and Pacific Climate Change Litigation database is continually being updated with new cases. If you are aware of relevant cases from Australia, New Zealand or the Pacific Islands which do not yet appear in the database please let us know at email@example.com. Melbourne Climate Futures is a multidisciplinary climate initiative established by the University of Melbourne to contribute to greater action on climate change @MCFunimelb, #MelbourneClimateFutures.
SELECT LITIGATION TYPE:
- District Court of Queensland2 cases
- Queensland Body Corporate and Community Management Commissioner - Adjudicators Orders1 case
- Queensland Land and Resources Tribunal2 cases
- Queensland Land Court11 cases
- Queensland Planning and Environment Court14 cases
- Supreme Court of Queensland4 cases
- Supreme Court of Queensland - Court of Appeal2 cases
- View all 36 cases.
SELECT AN INTERNATIONAL JURISDICTION:
- Court of Appeal of New Zealand5 cases
- District Court of New Zealand1 case
- Environment Court of New Zealand54 cases
- High Court of New Zealand33 cases
- New Zealand Advertising Standards Authority1 case
- New Zealand Immigration and Protection Tribunal11 cases
- Planning Tribunal of New Zealand2 cases
- Supreme Court of New Zealand3 cases
- View all 110 cases.
Select a .pdf to download:
- Trends in Australian Climate Litigation: 2021
- Trends in Australian Climate Litigation: 2020
- Trends in Australian Climate Litigation: 2019
SELECT A GRAPH TO VIEW:
SELECT A PIE CHART TO VIEW: